Monday, April 4, 2022

SHORT STORY: The Prostitute and the Pastor


On Sunday night in Allen Avenue was a day set aside by God to bless us, one can have as many as four to six customers to make your pay fat. 

I was out as usual on this particular Sunday night when a Mercedes Benz car parked to see what I've got. He was my first catch that night. Tstart with a Mercedes Benz means nothing but a promising night. He came out of the car; he was a tall handsome man. His mustache was neatly carved around his sexy mouth. His eyes, bright with an unusual flame that matches the dark jacket he was wearing. His height and his broad shoulders could pass him easily for a Hollywood star. 

He was staring at me, turning round and round to see my full abundantly God-given curvaceous frame. I hope I please him, I found myself praying. I wouldn’t mind if he takes me without paying a dame.

Finally, he smiled, 'hop in.' he said. A sudden strange feeling gripped me, maybe excitement, it was strange, a kind of joy I had not experienced for the past two years tugged my abused heart. I hopped into his car without even asking for my price.

When I was inside the car he looked into my eyes and said, 'you can still go back home you know.'

I was startled. I stared at him, maybe he thought I was his long-lost wife or he knew I ran away from home.

He smiled feverishly searching my eyes. He seize the key, and inserted it into the ignition.  He didn’t start the car instead he looked at me again and said, 'there is home for everybody you know?'

'Are you not going to move this car, bloc?' I barked angrily.

'You are confused, aren't you?' he asked absolutely unmoved.

I calmed down a little and said,  'I don't know who you are, if you are not ready, please don't waste my Sunday.'

'I happened to be the best luck you will ever have.'  He replied confidently.

''Then prove it,' I said, moving closed to him, thinking he was playing the game at last. You know most men will never make the first move at a hooker, mostly those coming for the first time.

'He wants you to come back home.' He said plainly as he pulled back.

'Who is he?' I asked, furious now.

'Don't be too harsh on me ple-as-e.' The way he made the please sound sent a cold chill down my spine.

'You are better than this; you are a sweet mother that can make a sweet home work. He wants to make you look like who you really are. You are worth a million dollars, baby.'

'Who do you say can make me all that? Who the hell are you?' I asked mad with rage.

'Jesus is the man who can bring you home to your true brothers and sisters, to your true family. You don't belong here baby.'      

I looked at the dashboard; a Bible was lying there. The fool is a Pastor, I reasoned; he has come to spoil my business this (blessed Sunday). I felt like murdering him; the bastard is a pastor. I opened the door and climbed down as I made to go he said. 'Please come Back Home Angel, we love you and I promised I will personally take care of you. Please angel.'

He was crying. His voice sang in my ears. I was confused, at the same time scared, why me. I turned and said to him, 'why me, why did you choose me, there are many harlots in Lagos.

'Because you are special and God loves you more.'

That was how my whole life was turned around. He made me the angel that God originally created me to be. He guided me and showed me how to climb out of the pit of self-abuse into a full life of esteem. I soon find a wonderful man, your father, here we are. However, anytime I remembered my past life, my heart bleeds for those angels that are still out there. Somebody needs to touch them specially.

How I wish I can persuade all kind-hearted young men, especially pastors out there to help tell every woman out there that the Lord loves them dearly. I have always thought, a day will come when women will learn to appreciate themselves and at least speak kindly to others. And embrace each other in love, not in sex; come together in understanding, not warfare.

However, I have made up my mind to tell my daughter the truth and at least save her from the woes I went through. I will tell her every day that if no one seems to love her, I do. She should count on my shoulders anytime. If you want to change the world, I will be there. If you need a partner anytime, I am readily available. I will be the friend, she can’t find in her peers; the confidant, she has always dreamed of; the soldier, she has always wished was available. How I wish every mother will do the same. If they will not, My Daughter, love your own daughters (when you have them), above everything else in the world. Love is the solution, my Angel.